Stage 7 – Casamance: Oussouye, Mountain biking and Kayaking in Egueye
Day 11 – 12 – Oussouye and Egueye by mountain bike / Kayak
How to get to Oussouye ?
Oussouye is a drop-off point to radiate in lower Casamance, halfway between Ziguinchor-Elinkin or Ziguinchor-Cap Skirring. Large number of camps to sleep in. Tourist town and starting point of Casamance mountain biking.
- From the road to Elikin, Miomp: 1500 FCFA – 3€ by taxi shared with Bagou
- From Ziguinchor: 1500 FCFA – 3€ by taxi shared with Bagou
- From Cap Skirring: 1500 FCFA – 3€ by taxi shared with Bagou
After our journey from Pointe Saint George (see previous article), we arrive at night in Oussouye, we sleep at the Auberge du routard. (6,000 FCFA – 10 euros) Double room on courtyard a little dilapidated without fan but with bathroom that largely does the trick for a night no more.
Good value for money, we arrived and put our feet under the table: grilled fish of the catch of the day on the menu (3500 FCFA the meal – 5 euros)..
We chose this hostel because it is located close to the premises of Casamance VTT, where we have an appointment 8am petante the next morning.
Casamance Mountain Bike:
With VTT Casamance, several possible formulas: mountain bike rental with or without a guide, over several days or just for the day.
We opted for two days one night with guide (formula at 55,000 FCFA – 83 euros), rate two people, decreasing prices if you are more numerous (sharing from the guide) including 3 meals, breakfast, one night at the camp of Egueye, room with shared bathroom, bike rental, and Kayak. Possibility to take room with bathroom with supplement.
The first morning, we visited Oussouye and its surroundings by mountain bike, passing through the forest. Our very friendly guide, Jean-Bernard, a sociologist by training, stops us at strategic locations and explained the diola rites and animist traditions of the region. Visit of a mangrove hut and lunch in Oussouye.
In the afternoon, we make catch to Egueye, we follow our guide by mountain bike through peanut fields. Sandy road, but we are starting to get used to it….after the adventures of the Carones Islands.Pleasant path and beautiful landscapes. Arrival in Diantene, we leave our bikes and embark to the island of Egueye by canoe.
Charming camp, lost in the middle of nature offering more than the necessary comfort. Perfect place to make a spiritual retreat. Excellent meal and out of the ordinary, appreciable to eat a little something other than rice and fries! A single menu for everyone that varies according to the seasons (Oysters are served in the right season).
The island is not really passable on foot but you can:
- Bring a book and rest quietly in the hammocks by the river.
- Admire the beautiful sunset from the pontoon!
- Explore the surroundings by Kayak
Precisely, the next day after a very pleasant breakfast, toasts, butter, wide variety of jams and view of the river, we went to discover the bolongs by Kayak always with our guide Jean-Bernard.
Nice walk through the mangrove, we did not see a crocodile (rather in the dry season towards Mars), but we were able to observe a beautiful variety of birds: herons, gendarmes, kingfishers ..
We then paused and planted some mangrove shoots in the bolong, an initiative launched by the Oceanium Association encouraging tourists passing through to make a gesture for the reforestation of the mangroves of the region and raise their awareness of the role of the mangrove in the casamance ecosystem.
For next time :
- We will try to return to the crocodile season at the camp to kayak and chill but without a guide… and maybe not by bike from Oussouye but embark directly in Diantene.
- Or try an island without dwelling of the bolongs and go wild camping.
- Try another bike tour!
- ✅ Stage 1 – Pays Bassari & Bedick: Dindéfalo, unforgettable hikes and waterfalls
- ✅ Stage 2 – Pays Bassari & Bedick: Iwol and its magical village
- ✅ Stage 3 – Casamance: Ziguinchor, the country capital
- ✅ Stage 4 – Casamance: Kafountine and the Karones Islands
- ✅ Etape 5 – Casamance: Elinkin and the beautiful island of Karabane
- ✅ Stage 6 – Casamance: Lamentins and Rando de la Pointe Saint-Georges
- ✅ Stage 7 – Casamance : Oussouye, Mountain biking and Kayaking
- ➡️ Stage 8 – Casamance: Cap Skirring